This is the Veggie Kitchen version of the classic brownie. The carob gives this brownie a wonderful flavor and makes a delicious alternative to chocolate.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 18 to 20 minutes
Makes 9 large servings
Ingredients for Brownie:
¾ cup of whole wheat flour
3 tbs of carob powder
½ tsp of baking powder
¼ tsp of baking soda
1 cup of carob chips
1 cup of chopped walnuts
½ cup of plain non-fat organic yogurt
½ cup of organic or raw sugar
¼ cup of safflower oil (or any light vegetable oil)
1 tbs of vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together the flour, carob powder, baking powder, baking soda, carob chips and walnuts.
3. Mix together the yogurt, sugar, oil and vanilla in a separate bowl.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stirring until just mixed.
5. Place the mixture in a parchment lined pan (approximately 8” x 8”) and bake for 18 to 20 minutes on 350 degrees. Test to see if cooked by inserting a toothpick in mixture.
1. Prepare a double boiler and heat water in the lower pan to boiling.
2. Add I table spoon of food grade coconut oil and remove from the heat.
3. Add 1 cup of carob chips and let sit for a couple of minutes
4. Stir well and pour over the top of the brownie.
5. Let frosting cool and harden then cut into squares and serve.
Carob powder can be purchased raw or roasted. I used roasted carob powder in this recipe because I like the flavor better than the raw carob.
The carob chips I used are made with turbinado sugar. There is a variety of carob chip that does not have sugar but these chips do not melt very well so I use the sugar ones for baking.